Yesterday was the hen's night for one of my best friends from my cheer days. Instead of bringing gifts, everyone brought a dish to share and the recipe so she could make a scrapbook of them to keep. Such a cute idea and a way for everyone to give something meaningful and lasting.
This particular recipe is great because it's so easily changed to suit whatever you like. I imagine it could even be made sweet with some vanilla in the cheese mix and something fruity on top!
Basic Tartlets (makes 48+ in mini quiche tins)
6 egg yolks
250gm Mascarpone cheese
1/3-1/2 block cream cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 200c, lightly grease mini muffin tins.
- In a bowl add egg yolks, mascarpone and chopped, soft cream cheese and whisk until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut circles of puff pastry to
fit muffin tins and press in.
- Add fillings and bake for 15-20 mins (or more) until golden. Be careful of over-filling at the egg mix does expand a bit.
Caramelized Onion Filling
1/4-1/3 block of butter
4 onions, quartered and sliced
Cherry tomatoes, halved and de-seeded
Good quality pesto
- Melt butter in a heavy based pan over medium heat.
- Add chopped onions and stir to coat.
- Maintain a medium heat and stir occasionally; you may like to drain excess oil at times.
- When the onions have begun to turn golden brown add sugar, 1 tbsp at a time to help the process. Give each spoon several minutes to mix and cook down to avoid over sweetening.
- Set aside in a bowl lined with paper towel to cool when golden brown and sweet to taste.
- Spoon onion mix into tartlets, top with cheese mix, pesto and tomatoes to garnish before baking.
Yarra Valley Marinated feta, crumbled
Marinated roasted capsicum strips
- Spoon in cheese mix, top with capsicum and crumbled feta before baking.